Fostering is an incredible opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of animals and communities. LHS was established in 2008 and we have saved, rehabilitated and rehomed thousands of pets over the years. Many of our fosters have chosen to stay with our organization for over 10 years, while some fosters are able to help short term and that option is absolutely great too.
By becoming a foster family for Legacy Humane Society, you will be providing a temporary home for a pet in need, thus saving lives. We provide all the necessary supplies, such as crates, food, toys, and bedding, and cover all medical and veterinary bills. This ensures that our foster families can focus on providing love, attention, and care to the pet.
We understand that every family has unique needs, and therefore, we allow our foster families to select the pet that best fits their lifestyle. Whether you are looking for a high-energy dog to take on adventures, a laid-back dog to snuggle with on the couch, a cuddly kitten or a furry guinea pig, we will work with you to find the perfect match.
At Legacy Humane Society, we pre-screen all adoption applications, handle the administrative work, and advertise via social media, our website, and third-party sites such as Petfinder.com. As a foster family, we only ask that you provide a loving, temporary home for the pet until they are adopted.
Fostering pets is an incredibly rewarding experience that benefits both animals and humans alike. By opening up your heart and your home to a foster pet, you can make a significant difference in their lives and in your community. If you’re interested in fostering a pet with Legacy Humane Society, please reach out to us today.
Reasons why so many don’t foster:
It’s too hard to fall in love and say goodbye.
While this can be true at first, it gets easier! When fostering with Legacy, you know that the pet is going to be adopted into a great home. Once the pet is adopted, you are free to rescue the next one from a shelter or situation that isn’t ideal for the pet. It’s a selfless and very rewarding experience. You can look at it as you would pet sitting. It’s not your pet but you’re going care for them like your own while they’re with you. Another concern is that all pets adopted must be returned to us in the event the family can no longer keep them, even 10 years later! We have this in our adoption contract because we make a life-long commitment to any pet in our program and want our fosters to know that any pet they take in will be in the best of hands.
Reasons to foster:
- You are saving lives by providing temporary homes for pets who might otherwise be homeless or euthanized.
- Fostering helps to socialize pets, making them more adoptable and better prepared for their forever homes.
- You are providing a break for shelter staff and helping to alleviate some of the stress on the shelter system.
- Fostering provides companionship and love to pets who may have suffered in a shelter environment or poor living situation.
- You are helping to find forever homes for pets by providing insight into their personalities, likes, and dislikes.
- Fostering is a flexible commitment that can fit into your schedule and availability.
- Fostering pets can teach you and your family about responsibility, patience, and empathy.
- You are supporting local animal shelters and rescue organizations by opening up your home to a foster pet.
- Fostering pets can be a great way to introduce a new pet into your home without a long-term commitment.
- If you are no longer an LHS foster, and the pet you adopted gets returned to our program, we will make arrangements to find a place for the pet so that he/she never winds up in a shelter again.
Overall, fostering dogs is a rewarding experience that allows you to make a positive impact on the lives of animals and your community. By providing a loving temporary home, you can help save lives and make a difference in the world.